Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Paul's 30th Birthday

Paul and I decided months ago that we'd spend his "golden year" or 30th birthday on November 30, 2007 in Los Angeles, California.

This all started with a pact that he instigated that included myself.

This is my version of the story, which is correct.

Paul brought up the idea that we should get married when we turn 30, that is, if we were still single. I told him we should do it when I turn 30. He was not pleased with that...it had to be when he turned 30. I gave in after many years.

So, this last year when I moved to Arizona, he reminded me to hurry and date someone before November 30, otherwise we were to be married. I started to panic! How was I to find my dream guy, date him, fall in love, and marry him within a year? Well, I almost did! (Well, at least I found someone I loved to date.) But, then we broke up a few weeks before Paul's big day. Darn it!

About 6 months ago or so, Paul and I were on the phone talking about relationships and whatever. Paul asked me where I'd like to get married, if I had the choice. I told him the L.A. temple. I fell in love with it when I was visiting California last. It's so massive on top of a beautiful hill. I love the nighttime view. Anyway, Paul was completely surprised because that's where he'd like to be married, too! Awkward...just kidding! Actually, I think it's the first thing we both have ever agreed upon without a fight! Not only did we agree upon a location, we also agreed on a date...December 1, 2007. Wow, we were on a roll! (Maybe it's meant to be?)

Before I knew it, Paul had made arrangements with my friend, Christi, in Los Angeles to have us over that weekend. It was official, we were going to L.A. for Paul's Golden Birthday and our "Wedding Day."

After a long day of traveling, Paul made it to LA to greet me at the bottom of the escalator just before Christi arrived to pick us up. He was all dressed up in his suit, just for me!

Christi's friend Charlie happened to need a ride from the airport around the same time, so the 4 of us went out to eat at a nice Thai restaurant. Paul's food arrived smothered in his favorite element, fire! The food was wonderful...the flavor was delicious! Unfortunately, I wasn't feeling so well, but I was still able to finish my meal. I just realized we didn't have cake and ice cream! Sorry, Paul! Christi had a card for him, and not just any typical birthday card...a wedding card! Hilarious, Christi!

I wanted to help Paul out with his new image for his birthday. His roommates and him have discovered the best way to attract women...be in a band! So, I gave him a few things that will allow women to recognize his talent. I gave him a few pics because every guitarist has a pic on hand. If one happens to slip out of his wallet while a lady is in his presence, he'll have the opportunity to explain! Also, I got him a lyric book. If anything comes to mind, he can write a few lines. This can be a time for him to be romantic without really even trying! (I got these great ideas from my friend who is in a band. Man am I lucky to know him!) The funny thing the whole day was that I forgot to buy him a pen for the notebook. Everywhere I went, I was tempted to take a pen...thanks to Christi, but I couldn't do it. (Of course, all the pens with the name Paul were gone at the airport terminal store.) Eventually Christi let me have one of hers for him. Thanks, again, Christi! Happy Birthday, Paul! I think, officially, you're an old man!

1 comment:

Degns Of Our Lives said...

So, no wedding pics? How lame!