Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Ear Update

I just want you all to know that I'm starting to hear out of my left ear!!!

Monday I went back to work. I was pretty dizzy all day and kept things at a slow pace. I started to hear high-pitch echoes in my ear from when I heard voices. It was kind of annoying, but it helped me start to believe that I would really hear one day! I was exhausted after working a full day, so I went to bed early to prepare for the next work day. (By the way, Jason's been awesome helping me get to and from work this week!)

Yesterday was a much better day. I started acting more "normal." I noticed I felt more comfortable walking faster and doing things at a quicker pace. It was great! I even felt like cleaning and getting things done after work! I know I'm not quite where I need to be to function like a healthy person, but I'm getting the motivation to keep busy and do things like I used to. My ear is really starting to work like an ear! I could start hearing a broader range of voices/sounds, and I even could hear my hair brush up against the cotton ball that is purposefully shoved in my ear. It actually got annoying, so from that point on, I decided to wear my hair up...even though it shows off my cotton ball.

I still didn't drive today, to be on the safe side...but I'm definitely feeling better. My appointment to see the doctor is on the 30th. That is when I am to get my ear cleaned out from all the gauze and junk stuck in there. I'm told that at that appointment I will love my doctor because I'll really be able to hear! Next Wednesday! Big Day!!
As of Day 12 post surgery, dizziness has been my largest obstacle with recovery. I definitely still get dizzy, but not as often and for not as long now. I haven't been nauseated or experienced vertigo at all...which I am grateful for. I have had a numb tongue, especially on my left side this whole time. I have also experienced off-and-on ringing and popping in my ear on a daily basis. A little off the subject, but you can see my shaved head a little in this picture! It's really not that bad.

2 comments:

Degns Of Our Lives said...

Hey, your hair is already growing back! Awesome b/c your hair growth is more important than your hearing. NOT! We're all really excited for you! It seems like just yesterday you and I were oblivious to you having hearing loss at all and now you've had surgery and have hearing that you didn't even know you could have! When do you think it started going away in the 1st place?

AnnieB said...

You are such a trooper! I hate surgeries! You look great and you can't even tell where they shaved!